Nora Fok Designer of Jewellery, Beasties and Knitted Nature

April 26, 2011

I was lucky enough to see a the first ever solo exhibition tour by the extraordinary jeweller, textile artist

and 3D designer Nora Fok presently on at The Ruthin Craft Centre between 2 April 2011 –  5 June 2011.

The artist has established herself as a pioneering maker, crafting her delicate, intricate forms from

nylon microfilament. Nora makes her work by hand using techniques she has taught herself:

knitting, knotting, tying, weaving, plaiting.

The list is deceptively simple; her chosen material of nylon monofilament is fine and hard to work but

her results are spectacular. These pieces are often very complicated and take many hours, days or weeks

to produce. These clever insects are constructed with natural elements, seed pods, twigs etc.

Born in Hong Kong, Nora had to leave school at 12 to work in a factory assembling toys and

computer components. Nora says the experience gave her the structure and discipline which still

underpins her work.  “It also made me determined to leave the factory and have a career in

art and design”. She studied in Hong Kong and worked there as a graphic designer.

In 1978 she was accepted on the three-dimensional design course a Brighton Polytechnic,

which emphasised an experimental approach to materials.

In 1984 Nora married artist and lecturer, Frank Hills. After her first son was born, she decided to work

as a jeweller exclusively with nylon monofilament – it could be done from home using simple equipment

and techniques.

This was quite a challenge as Nora had to learn new processes and develop

creative ways of using the material. “My major break through came in 1997 when

Jackie Binns curated, ‘Galaxies’, my first solo exhibition at Hove Museum and Art Gallery

and Tim Wilcox reviewed my jewellery in Crafts magazine”.  Since then her work has been

widely recognized internationally by inclusion in exhibitions, collections, and gallery shops.

In 2010 she was one of 29 makers to be awarded the Jerwood prize for contemporary makers.

Considering how much of Nora’s work is beautifully knitted and constructed using inticate

or delicate wires and fibres. It’s a pleasure to see such an impressive body of work and ideas.

There’s also an interesting interview with Nora on the ‘ Ideas in the Making ‘ site here.

1. ssarahlou permalink
    April 26, 2011 3:18 pm

Wow Nora’s work is beautiful. I love her dandelion seeds. X

2. April 26, 2011 3:31 pm

Yep they caught my eye too

3. April 26, 2011 3:58 pm

WOW – a very unique and gifted artist!

• April 26, 2011 4:11 pm

yes…incredibly talented and a lovely chance to see so much of her work altogether.

4. April 26, 2011 9:50 pm

There was an excellent article in Crafts magazine a couple of months ago about her – she uses lots of computer modelling & 3-d printing for some of her work – I was fascinated by the possibilities of that..would have loved to see the exhibition.

5. September 27, 2013 12:36 pm

HiHi.
    I admire and love Nora’s work a lot and I would be interesting to get in contact with her as a college. Where can I find her e-mail address?! Kind regards Paula Lindblom jewellery artist from Sweden.

prylpaula@hotmail.com

• September 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi Paula, thanks for your comment. I’m sorry but I don’t have any personal details for Nora. You could try contacting the Ruthin Craft Centre thegallery@rccentre.org.uk and see if they could help you. All the best.

6. November 29, 2013 1:26 pm

I seen this too in Ruthin craft centre, I used her work to inspire me, I can’t believe how big she has gotten now.

Trackbacks