Fishinkblog on Fishink . Illustration for Children … the road less travelled !

March 21, 2012

I thought that I would treat you lucky people to some up to date news about what’s going on in my world… aside from the blogging and walking and photography that is. In return I have a favour to ask of you too.

I am on a journey of writing and illustrating a children’s picture book. I’ve been reading books about the industry and chatting to people online too and I realise what a HUGE task lies ahead of me, but I want to make it happen. With an aim to secure a book deal or alternatively to set off for Bologna Children’s Book Fair this time next year with a book that I’m proud of tucked under my arm and a portfolio to match.

You guys and gals who read my blog have a keen eye for design and colour and appreciate the work that illustrators do.  You can help by telling me what you like about my illustration and also what doesn’t work for you, and why.  All feedback is very useful in my experience.

I’ve been experimenting with many different styles of illustrating, using textures and hand painted elements as well as working with photoshop and it would be so useful for me to find out what you really think. So come on, please don’t spare your thoughts, just add some comments to the blog or contact me via email craig@fishink.co.uk or on twitter, my name there is wwwfishinkcouk or you can even just ‘like’ me or tell your friends about me on facebook under FISHINK, it all helps.

Experimenting with pattern is also important as I want to keep my textile design roots.

Hope to hear from you soon and any help or guidance you can offer will be gratefully accepted. Thanks as always for reading. Craig

Some funny facts I discovered about my site online. Fishinkblog is apparently ranked at 3,301,942 in the United States and 185,505 in the United Kingdom. It has had 95,430 views to date since starting mid 2010 and has been viewed in 93 different countries, including Oman, the Cayman Islands and Greenland. It’s busiest day was 21st October 2011 when google did a tribute to Mary Blair and I had a blog posting about her too.  To celebrate this amazing artist I’ve written a more comprehensive guide to Mary Blair which will appear here very soon.  If you have any friends who would like Fishinkblog, then please pass on the link  https://fishinkblog.wordpress.com and we can develop an online like minded community 🙂 See you soon.

1. James permalink
    March 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Really enjoying yr blog Craig, never appreciated the breadth of illustration types around and your photography makes me want to dig out my camera for once. On my toolbar for a quick browse between interviews.

cheers

James

• March 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Great to hear it’s having an inspirational effect on you. Get that camera out and see things afresh, another good reason to get out and about and tackle life at a more relaxing pace.

2. March 21, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi, for what it’s worth, I like the illustration with the bird in the foreground and lighthouse in the background best in terms of book illustration. The other bird drawings are nice and characterful too. This style would enhance narrative, you don’t want to compete with it by being too decorative I think.
    The dog in the car and dogs with parcel work in this way too as do the page of dog cartoons and would appeal to a younger child.
    All great but for different purposes I think. Enjoying your blog, thanks.

• March 22, 2012 10:25 am

Thanks Jo, for your well considered comment. I’ll bear in mind and try not to make the narrative compete with the decorative, things could get too confusing all round lol

3. Claire permalink
    March 22, 2012 10:03 am

Good luck Craig, what a great goal to have and I’m sure you’ll be successful. I love the movement and whimsical ness of your drawing, always love the highly patterned pieces but not so keen on the pastel shades. I think your work would compliment a book which had a more male storyline. From teaching I know that everyone ( publishers, teachers and parents) are always on the lookout for stories that engage boy readers from 7 yrs on because they start to disengage. That could be a focus for you as i imagine your illustration would appeal to that category. Goodluck 🙂

• March 22, 2012 10:30 am

Cheers Claire. Great advice again. I much appreciate your comments and it’s great when other people mention the humour in my work as I do try and include something to raise a smile whenever possible. Good point about the 7 year old boys who start to disengage too, perhaps as you say a chance to aim for something in their direction which could help. More space stories to come ! 🙂