Sad News

July 26, 2012

I’m sorry this is such a sad story to tell but the little blackbird I mentioned two days ago didn’t make it through today. I fear that a cat managed to get into the garden last night as we saw a small pile of feathers in the centre of the lawn and although it was alive today, it was also very docile and hidden away for most of the day. We decided to try and move it from where it was, to somewhere better as the mother was struggling to get to it to feed from where it had wedged itself. However sadly it passed away as we tried to give it water, it was so weak, all its spirit and fight had gone. After it had died we noticed a scar on its back, that could have been from a cat.

Needless to say something about the whole bonding experience with its mother made me quite sad today and it’s been even worse to see her still bringing worms to a youngster that isn’t alive any longer and sitting around in the tree making the same noises for communication as it did when it was alive. Here are some images I took of the mother bird yesterday. We did have a small funeral for it and posted a bird card with some warm sentiments on it too.

She has been such a strong character and loyal mother throughout. Alerting us to when cats or magpies posed a threat and constantly feeding, on the lookout, busy finding food and keeping in touch with her young. This is a small tribute to the youngster, I hope it’s flying somewhere warm and happy, wherever it is now.

1. July 26, 2012 11:17 pm

Oh no. I’m very sorry to hear the little bird didn’t make it. It’s wonderful that you & your wife tried so hard. Nature can be so cruel. My father had a similar experience some years ago w-a small weaker baby a cat had gotten to. Wish all cats could be kept inside, but you did what you could. Poor mother, hope she won’t grieve for too long. Try not to stay too upset. I know how you feel, it’s just such a shame.

• July 27, 2012 6:01 am

Thank you for your kind words Allyn, so thoughtful of you to take the time to write them. I seriously wondered whether to write the blog yesterday, thinking that to anyone not connected to the event, the whole thing would possibly sound quite trivial. They may even say, ‘well it was only a baby bird, what’s with all the fuss’. But something about the way the mother trusted us, I somehow felt like I’d let her down and that in itself made me feel sad. I also hoped that by writing it down, it may give me some sense of closure too. Nature can be so harsh sometimes, but perhaps it was meant to teach me something about myself too.

Thanks again Allyn, it is at times like these when I realise how lovely it is to have my blog community around me 🙂

2. July 27, 2012 11:57 am

That’s sad to hear, In my experience, its often the case, but it sounds like you did everything you could to give the poor chick a chance. Nature is cruel.

• July 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks again for your comment Jane. Your story about your father really made me smile yesterday, it was a lovely image and great success story too. You’re right nature is cruel. Some lessons can be learned here too so not all bad 🙂 Hope this finds you well.

3. July 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Hope you’re feeling better about the baby bird today. Nature is so tough, but always amazes me how resilient animals are. I like that you included it on your blog since, unfortunately not everything can be bright and fun. Think many illustrators, partic of kids’ bks, started as way to create own happy world and escape or at least make realities of life a little cuter 😉

• July 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Yes I agree Allyn. It’s important sometimes to realise that life for nature isn’t a walk in the park and tho we don’t always want to dwell too much on these things either, it is good to keep them in mind and teach youngsters that sometimes animals have difficult times too. I am feeling a little better today thanks and It’s got me thinking about ways of helping the animal causes in some way. Hopefully positive things can come out of negatives.. yay.

4. July 28, 2012 1:08 pm

You might like this quote I remember from way back which I sent to a friend when her cat passed away:

“When their lives on earth are done,
    Happily, I think, they run
    Over death’s dividing dark,
    Where those saints who ran the Ark —
    Noah and Japheth, Ham and Shem —
    Probably look after them.”

From The Human Attitude by Geoffrey Dearmer

PS Have been following your blog for a while and think it’s really brilliant. All the best.

• July 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi John. Many thanks for your message and kind thoughts and words. They are all helpful indeed. So pleased you get something from the blog too. I appreciate you letting me know. Lovely drawings on your site by the way. I noticed the bird on the coal scuttle and it made me smile too. Thanks again. Craig