Children’s Vintage Book Covers

May 10, 2013

Fishinkblog 5866 Vintage Book Covers 9

I’ve been sifting through some more vintage book covers to assemble another great selection for you.

Fishinkblog 5858 Vintage Book Covers 1

It’s fascinating to see just how much the format and notion of ‘what makes a good cover’ varies.

Fishinkblog 5859 Vintage Book Covers 2

Travel themes seem to crop up over and over again, and I somehow feel that the authors writing ‘Eggs Of Things’ struggled with their title somewhat !

Fishinkblog 5860 Vintage Book Covers 3

A wonderful array of colours, shapes and textures.

Fishinkblog 5861 Vintage Book Covers 4

Off to distant lands and chicken’s on bicycles, just can’t be beaten lol

Fishinkblog 5862 Vintage Book Covers 5

A bit of space thrown in for good measure ! The Mrs Pickerell Goes To Mars cover made me smile as that was the name of my art teacher at school.

Fishinkblog 5863 Vintage Book Covers 6

I wonder if the inside of The Shape of Towns book was as colourful as it’s exterior ?

Fishinkblog 5864 Vintage Book Covers 7

I particularly like the ‘stitchery’ on the Robert Louis Stevenson cover. Hope these made you smile and stirred some old memories too.

Fishinkblog 5865 Vintage Book Covers 8

If you did enjoy looking through these try typing the words Vintage Children’s Books into the search function on my blog and you’ll find a few more similar posts.

1. May 10, 2013 8:10 am

I love looking at these! Thank you.

• May 10, 2013 9:12 am

You are most welcome and thanks for letting me know too. Always great to hear what is liked and not liked.

2. May 10, 2013 11:16 am

Fascinating stuff, especially the “Daily Mail Annual for Boys and Girls”, which I remember being given when I was very young.

• May 10, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks Harry. I always like it when someone, like yourself, remembers a particular book. IFor me it often conjures up so many happy memories connected to that time.

3. May 10, 2013 8:07 pm

These are awesome!!!

4. May 11, 2013 7:10 pm

Thank you for sharing these beautiful images. Children’s books were so beautifully illustrated in those days.

5. May 30, 2013 9:11 am

Hi, been following your blog for quite a while, it’s most inspiring. I was looking elsewhere in the net and came across James Gulliver Hancock, thought it’s the kind of artist I could find here, so in case you want to take a look at his work some day (not that you need any heads up!): http://jamesgulliverhancock.com/.
    He draws fantastic things like all the buildings in New York, all the snow in Montreal,all the rain in London…
    Anyway, thanks for your blog!