Mid Century Illustrations made into repeat patterns

June 7, 2013

I’ve been working on some repeats based on the work of some of the illustrators from the 1950’s and 60’s that I really like.  These are not designs I’ve drawn to sell or use but just to create and see what they look like. For me, it is also a way of keeping the illustrators’ work fresh and to give it a new lease of life.

First to be shown are my offerings to Abner Graboff’. You can find more info about Abner here and here. These energetic joggers seem quite happy.

I really liked the feel of this aeronautical one too.

A couple for Bernice Myers. Blogs about Bernice are here and here.

I created this one from lots of separate drawings and put them all together on their own floating island fairgrounds.

And three Mary Blair contributions. More about Mary here.

What do you think ? More to come.

1. Rachel permalink
    June 7, 2013 9:43 am

Wonderful!! My favourites are the Islands and the Houses. I think both would make fantastic textiles!

• June 7, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks Rachel, always good to know which ones become the favs : )

2. June 7, 2013 10:36 am

All the patterns you’ve created are so cheerful and uplifting ! Loved the floating island fairground 🙂

• June 7, 2013 12:23 pm

Many thanks, yes I feel their ‘ spirit ‘ is a real nod to the times in which the characters were drawn. Thanks for your comment.

3. June 7, 2013 11:16 am

Big fan of Mary Blair…I’d be tempted to buy the fabric bring out my dusty old sewing machine – if I could afford to take a bit of time off!

• June 7, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks Bridget, alas the fabric doesn’t actually exist as it’s just a visual. Nice idea though ! Don’t work too hard, it’s important to have some ‘you’ time too : )

4. Cindi L. permalink
    June 7, 2013 9:20 pm

All the images are fun, but the house/village images are marvelous!