Gerald H Rose Children’s book Illustrator from the 1960’s

August 23, 2013

Fishinkblog 6261 Gerald Rose 6b

Gerald Rose was born in Hong Kong.

Fishinkblog 6261 Gerald Rose 6

When the Second World War started, his father became a prisoner of war, and Gerald and his mother were interned in a civilian camp, which was where he saw his first live tiger.

Fishinkblog 6258 Gerald Rose 3
He has illustrated quite a few books with his quirky, humorous drawings. Thanks to Brain Pickings for posting these amazing images accompanying a James Joyce novel.

Fishinkblog 6257 Gerald Rose 2

Fishinkblog 6256 Gerald Rose 1

and also to The Art of Childrens Picture Books for these.

Fishinkblog 6259 Gerald Rose 4

Fishinkblog 6261 Gerald Rose 6h

Fishinkblog 6261 Gerald Rose 6e

Fishinkblog 6261 Gerald Rose 6d

Gerald studied at Lowestoft School of Art and the RA schools. Frustrated by the dearth of good illustrated books for children, his wife, Elizabeth, helped him to write and illustrate a number of books. Gerald won the Premio Critici in 1979 in Erba, Italy for ‘Ahhh! Said Stork’ and won the Kate Greenaway Medal in 1960 for ‘Old Winkle and the Seagulls’. These are amazing they really make me smile.

Fishinkblog 6260 Gerald Rose 5

Fishinkblog 6261 Gerald Rose 6a

Gerald now lives in Hove, East Sussex. Look at this funny Ted Hughes story about Nessie the Mannerless Monster !

Fishinkblog 6262 Gerald Rose 7

Fishinkblog 6261 Gerald Rose 6i

Or ‘ Albert and the Green Bottle ‘.

Fishinkblog 6261 Gerald Rose 6c

Grandmother Oma and her inventive uses of her umbrella.

Fishinkblog 6261 Gerald Rose 6j

Or these beautifully observed illustrations of Cormorants and the Chinese lifestyle.

Fishinkblog 6261 Gerald Rose 6f

Fishinkblog 6261 Gerald Rose 6g

Gerald has such a wonderful variety of styles, all with a great sense of humour. His characters are so rich in emotion.

Fishinkblog 6263 Gerald Rose 8

Many thanks to Hazel Terry  and many more for posting images of Gerald’s fascinating work.

1. August 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Reblogged this on The Picture Book Illustration Blog.

• August 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks Nick, glad to see other like minded people like yourself appreciate Gerald’s work too. Great to have you ‘onboard’ as it were.

2. August 24, 2013 10:32 pm

I love his work and ordered another book of his last week.
    So funny to remember that he trained in Lowestoft near to where my family have lived since I was 11 yrs old.
    Thank you for putting together such a comprehensive blog post about his wonderful work.

• August 25, 2013 7:35 am

Hi Hazel, I really enjoyed exploring Gerald’s work, it was a joy to assemble this post. Lovely to hear from you, Your blog is a constant inspiration. Keep up the great work.

3. September 9, 2013 4:32 am

I’m a big fan of Gerald Rose, he had a wonderful way with composition and his work also had warmth and a sense of humor to it. Great post.

• September 9, 2013 7:54 am

I agree Jil, a very versatile artist with a great range of styles but, as you say, with that warm feel good factor that also raises a smile. Nice to hear from you, hope you’re well.

4. afishinthehat permalink
    February 15, 2014 5:05 pm

Reblogged this on afishinthehat.

5. julia permalink
    August 5, 2015 8:41 am

My children were besotted with Gerald’s book; ‘Horrible Hair’. I was often to asked to read it several times each evening for months. I wrote to Mr Rose to let him know how much we have enjoyed his story, and was surprised to receive a handwritten card with one of his fab illustrations on the front. He told us about his family member upon whom one of the characters had been based.What an absolute gentleman.

6. julia permalink
    August 5, 2015 8:43 am

I forgot to say that not only did he take the time to reply, he also gave my children another of his books; ‘ The Tiger Skin Rug’, which he told us was out of print at the time.

7. Jane. Burns permalink
    August 6, 2015 11:07 pm

Gerald Rose was my tutor at Maidstone College of Art ,in 1972.He gave me confidence in my ability and very good advice.

• August 6, 2015 11:15 pm

He sounds like he gave you a great start Jane. Lovely to hear your story, thanks for sharing it with us.

8. January 22, 2016 10:49 am

Gerald Rose was my painting tutor when I studied painting (NDD) in the early 1960s. He was a “a breath of fresh air” as a practitioner, highly prolific, the master of less is more in drawing out the narrative of witty, humorous, situations. His use of colour was bold and intuitively harmonious. A pleasure to revisit his images which look as strong now as they did over 50 years ago. A magical duo with his wife, Elizabeth, as writer….they have brought a “serious” amount of pleasure to children over many decades as they will do for evermore.

• January 25, 2016 9:31 am

Bryan is wholeheartedly agree. Many thanks for your insight into Gerald’s talents, what a joy to have studied under him. Thanks for your comments

Trackbacks

1. IL TAPPETO DI TIGRE | Scelgo un libro per bambini!