More Vintage Book Covers

November 18, 2013

Here’s a little more Vintage fun with book covers. Starting us off with a little space set.

Fishinkblog 6720 Vintage Kid's Books 14 Fishinkblog 6720 Vintage Kid's Books 15

The talented Brian Wildsmith, never fails to delight with his excitable colour palettes.

Fishinkblog 6720 Vintage Kid's Books 16

Animal themed covers usually catch my eye too.

Fishinkblog 6720 Vintage Kid's Books 17 Fishinkblog 6720 Vintage Kid's Books 18

This John Gordon book has been a favourite of mine since I was about 12. I’ve read it twice as an adult and still get caught up in it’s drama, what a cover to draw you in.

Fishinkblog 6720 Vintage Kid's Books 19

Not sure that ‘The plug at the bottom of the sea’ is the best title ever, but I love the spirals and also this cars and trucks book cover too.

Fishinkblog 6720 Vintage Kid's Books 20

A few foreign covers.

Fishinkblog 6720 Vintage Kid's Books 21 Fishinkblog 6720 Vintage Kid's Books 22

Some more simplistic ones.

Fishinkblog 6720 Vintage Kid's Books 23

A Couple of Little Golden Book illustrations here.

Fishinkblog 6720 Vintage Kid's Books 24 Fishinkblog 6720 Vintage Kid's Books 25

Something for everyone I’d say, which covers tend to catch you eye and why ? What are your personal favourites of all time ?

1. November 18, 2013 11:55 am

A perfect antidote for grey Monday morning. Thank you😉

• November 18, 2013 12:00 pm

..and now you’ve just made mine better too : ) Thanks in return.

2. Elaine permalink
    November 18, 2013 12:31 pm

A feast for the eyes once again. I’ve been meaning to ask you for months now and seeing this morning’s collection has prompted me to dive in ask! I told my Mum about your page sometime ago and she told me about a book she loved when she was small all about a child taking a trip in a taxi. Lo and behold this morning a cover appears. Can you give me any information on the book with the taxi cover? I’d love to find out about the book that has stayed with my Mum for 70 odd years! The cover shown might just be this very book. Or may be you know of another. Any light shed could help my search! Thank you. Elaine

• November 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Elaine thanks for your comment, but sadly I gather my book covers from about 20 different sources online and therefore can not recall where one particular image may have come from, (and I think the taxi one in this case may have been a drawing from within the book and not a cover). Are you based in the UK or USA ? I can certainly keep my eyes peeled incase I come across anything I feel maybe close for you. Visit some of the links under the header Books, Blogs on the right on my page and ask the owners of the kids vintage sites to do the same for you. Good luck in your searches. Craig

• Elaine permalink
        November 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Thank you very much! I’m in the UK, my mother grew up in London. She has a fondness for this particular book I’m searching for as her father use to read it to her. She will be 79 next year! Thank you again I’ll do some more searching!

• November 18, 2013 1:07 pm

I do hope you find it Elaine and if anyone else who loves Vintage Children’s books knows of one thats about 80 years old and has a taxi on the cover please let me know. Thank you

3. November 18, 2013 12:59 pm

I was thinking that if the book is 70 years old then it’s possible it could be from the ‘Little Golden Books’ series and I did a little more digging and found this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taxi-That-Hurried-Little-golden/dp/030700144X/ref=sr_1_1/278-7169059-3477659?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384775878&sr=1-1&keywords=the+taxi+that+hurried
    see if it’s the one , fingers crossed : )

• Elaine permalink
      November 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Checked out the Amazon page, I don’t think its that one. I seem to remember my mum saying it was about a little girl taking a ride in a taxi and the driver showing her all the sites, I think its possibly based in London. Thanks again for all your help. 🙂

4. November 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Reblogged this on Catharine Withenay and commented:
    I saw this post on Fishinkblog’s Blog and couldn’t help but love the nostalgia of looking at vintage book covers. Take a look yourself, and enjoy!

5. November 18, 2013 6:20 pm

These are so Great! Those fish by Brian Wildsmith kill me and love seeing such an old Paddington. I don’t know how you do it, creating your own work and compiling these fabulous finds. I’m off today so must catch up with some past posts I missed. Your blog is a true favorite of mine, I always enjoy it and learn something! Thx.

• November 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Thank you Allyn. Always a treat to hear from you, glad the posts still bring a smile too : )