Fishink Morning Walks

July 25, 2014

Fishinkblog 7880 Fishink Walks 5

I’ve heard people say that working from home as an artist is not a proper job. Apparently us artist-folk, don’t take life seriously, we spend time sleeping a lot, playing around with interesting shapes and frittering away our time in less serious, non-office pursuits like working out the moves from the cast of Fame (for example) !

Fishinkblog 7881 Boo

I’d like to tell those people that our world is complicated and beautifully unique. Sometimes there is darkness, prior to stepping into the light. Searching, before finding realisation and often cloud before clarity, vision and creativity.

Fishinkblog 7877 Fishink Walks 2

Most days are bright, sunny and colourful, where there is meaning and purpose and wellbeing.

Fishinkblog 7876 Fishink Walks 1

Sometimes we need to creep into the shadows, or be carefree and adventurous, or placid and contemplative to allow our minds to see more clearly.

Fishinkblog 7878 Fishink Walks 3

Us homeworker artists are a complex mix, and by allowing our minds to wander freely, we discover doors that open into places we never even dreamt existed. Please don’t pity our small lives, because secretly we’re living the best life possible ! Thanks to my dog Boo, and my morning walk for helping me see life more clearly.

Fishinkblog 7879 Fishink Walks 4

Interestingly I met a new fellow illustrator Craig Cameron the other week. He lives not far from me and also has a dog that he takes out for morning and evening walks. He sent me this illustration today that he did last week, before he’d seen my post… what a great surprise ! It seems we think alike : ) Lovely work mister C.

Fishinkblog 7880 Fishink Walks Craig Cameron 5

1. Claire permalink
    July 25, 2014 9:56 am

Beautifully worded.
    BTW I did use to know the moves to the dance audition scene and (in my mind) could do it quite well!!

2. July 25, 2014 10:34 am

We’re a happy breed of animal, we home workers. Wonderful post! And lovely set of photos… I particularly love the last picture of Boo by the gate 🙂

3. July 25, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks Petra, happy but often misunderstood I feel. You need to experience the life to see how tricky a balance it can be. I love it and wouldn’t want to swop it. I love that last picture too, and when you know the speed my dog travels at, it was a rare gift to get her to stay there long enough…. luck on my side I think : )

4. July 25, 2014 2:56 pm

I see infinite creative possibilities with those shadow shapes; they are somewhat mysterious and quirky at the same time.

• July 25, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks Joy, someone asked what had happened to my dog’s behind ! I just said her shadow was trying to out-booty Beyonce ! lol

5. wendy permalink
    July 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Beautiful! This, along with my cup of coffee, made the day start off perfectly.
    Wendy

• July 25, 2014 7:17 pm

Great to hear Wendy, thats at least two of us who feel that way : )

6. 54paintings permalink
    July 25, 2014 5:51 pm

Yeah, I spend most of my day on the sofa, in my pyjamas, under the blanket I have hauled downstairs watching The Big Lebowski. Seriously though, time spent staring into space is time well spent when working on an idea, or time spent somewhere OTHER than the room you work in, gets it all into focus. Often the really hard serious work is done when I am not in the studio but somewhere else, mulling things over, I sometimes wish I had a dog to take for walks so I could ‘justify’ the ‘somewhere else not doing much’ thinking time. My Rita does the lying with legs in the air head to one side pose too- hilarious.

7. July 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Great to hear, perhaps it’s a trait of the pets of all arty types to do this… must investigate further ! I agree that space away from ‘the studio’ is always good to work out ideas. Thanks for your valued comments.

8. July 29, 2014 9:18 pm

Lovely post, as always, Craig. I haven’t commented recently – been busy getting degree finished – but I’m back to enjoy your blog now I’m all graduated! Boo looks gorgeous. I’m a dog owner too and agree there’s nothing like dog walking for the perfect thinking time!

• July 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Ah thanks Isobel, comments always appreciated as it tells me that not only do others like what I’m showing but also that actual ‘live’ people are reading my blog too lol Hope you’re degree work went well and so glad to have you back with us. My thinking must be subconscious when i’m out walking, as I’m usually looking at the wonders of nature rather than musing something in particular or trying to problem solve. It obviously works for many Fishink readers as that seems to be a common link too.