Modern Publicity 1955-6 Part 1

May 27, 2015

Fishinkblog 8861 Modern Publicity 1955-6 27

Here is another tribute post to the fascinating series of publications called ‘ Modern Publicity ‘.  This annual covers the year 1955-56 and I’ve gleaned enough images to cover 6 posts, so it was obviously quite a creative one.

As a lot of the images are black and white, I’ve subtly toned some of them to add a bit more colour.

Fishinkblog 8836 Modern Publicity 1955-6 2

I love this poster advertising the British countryside, what a great perspective and rural scene.

Fishinkblog 8839 Modern Publicity 1955-6 5

Some amusing shape manipulation going on here with the banana head-dress and Cockerel newspaper.

Fishinkblog 8835 Modern Publicity 1955-6 1

Another fab ‘See Britain from Her Roads’ advert and the beckoning image of Big Ben as it lures you to visit London.

Fishinkblog 8838 Modern Publicity 1955-6 4 Fishinkblog 8837 Modern Publicity 1955-6 3

Since I’m mentioning the See Britain From Her Roads posters, here’s a few more I found on the internet. All created by different artists to help promote Bus, Coach and Rail travel around Britain.

Fishinkblog 8939 See Britain Ads 1 Fishinkblog 8940 See Britain Ads 2

Watch out, more to come from this mid century annual soon. You can also put ‘Modern Publicity’ into the search function on my blog to look for other posts from this series. Enjoy.

1. May 27, 2015 9:01 am

I love the See Britain from her roads adverts – we could almost still use a couple of them as they would conjure up the places in just the same way as before! Plus the little guy with the key and lock sword and shield is fab!! Great post!

• May 27, 2015 9:22 am

I agree with you totally about the posters conjuring up nostalgic urges to explore this ‘green and pleasant land’. I wonder how younger folk would view it ?

• May 27, 2015 10:12 am

Good point! Mind you, adverts don’t always appeal to all demographics.

• May 27, 2015 10:44 am

Very true.

2. May 27, 2015 9:03 am

A delicious collection! I especially like the Japanese hens – great inspiration for an applique panel 🙂

• May 27, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks Ann, so glad it’s inspiring in more than just visual ways. Happy appliqué, do show us the results afterwards

3. May 27, 2015 9:57 am

lovely posters, could spend hours looking at your posts

• May 27, 2015 10:43 am

Many thanks I hope they’re not taking you away from too many important things ! Distractions can be good too : )