G-Force Eighties Clothing Company in Nottingham

July 16, 2018

Anyone who remembers names like Cocky’s Shed and Culture Vulture in Hockley, Nottingham, was probably (like me) around there in the mid eighties when different forms of street fashion were establishing. I was chatting recently to a friend from my Trent Poly days about living in Nottingham and the name ‘G-Force’ came up, as we remembered the boutique clothing shop with it’s strong, bold knitwear.

Funnily enough we had both bought our own G-Force knits, to wear and be ‘in with the in-crowd’ of the time.

Although to be honest I didn’t always have the guts to wear it as often as I would have liked. This was my jumper.

Their label and logo with great details, heavy zip and characteristic stitching on the seams.

G-force was often worn by bands like the Stereo MC’s, the performance artists Stomp, celebrities like Cher and Eric Cantona. I started googling the name to see what was available and the name of it’s founder Robin Kerr appeared. As luck would have it, Robin not only had an accessible email address but is now a Senior Lecturer in Fashion at non other than the Manchester School of Art ..small world again eh !! I got in touch with him to ask a little more about this iconic brand… he replied to say he would answer any questions I might have but when I sent them over, sadly I didn’t hear back.

Another small piece of 80’s and 90’s culture. Who else remembers these ?

1. July 16, 2018 4:49 pm

I enjoy your blog very much. I’m not usually familiar with the artists you show here, so am glad to have a chance to see these beautiful graphics and textiles. Thanks so much for taking the time to post them.

• July 17, 2018 8:36 am

Many thanks for your comments, always great to hear when someone else likes what you do. 🙂

2. Alex permalink
    February 15, 2019 8:53 pm

Ha ha remember G-force.. There was a little stall in ken high street market. Great trousers too. Good raving gear.

3. Philip Pidduck permalink
    May 3, 2019 7:04 pm

Just saw this so thought I’d leave a comment. I was at school in Mansfield with Robin’s brother Alistair. I shopped at G force in the early 80’s when the clothes were predominantly rockabilly style. I still own a Zoot suit that I bought from there but sadly or luckily it now doesn’t fit? They also had another shop a few doors down that sold punk clothing.

• May 5, 2019 7:27 am

Priceless memories Philip, thanks so much for sharing them with us. I bet there’s a market forming for the old Zoot suit as we type!

4. Matty permalink
    May 29, 2019 7:07 am

I also used to frequent the stall in Hyper Hyper in kensington in the late 80s/early 90s. The Gforce suits then were two tone affairs with matching tops/bottoms and an industrial feel. I was into Hip Hop so they fitted that style nicely, although i had to tuck the bottom of the pants into my Argyle socks. 😉

Wish I still had some of the clothing, it was my go to back in the day and a favourite among the crew.

• May 29, 2019 7:26 am

Thank you Matty for that descriptive recollection. Any photos of you wearing it ?

5. Jase permalink
    June 8, 2019 7:46 am

My friend Anne used to work for and made lots of the knitted patches and jackets. They also did great drill cotton jeans with contrast stitching