Vintage Children’s Books.

August 3, 2012

I’ve been casually ‘grazing’ through the wonderful images in mid century kid’s books and getting very excited about the style of them, the feel of their graphics, the way in which the illustrations are assembled, their colourations and … well… just allowing myself to get caught up in the look of another era.

There are a few series that I really like, all from the USA and mostly from the 60’s and early 70’s. One is called ‘Let’s Read and Find Out’, another is ‘Let’s Find Out About’ and lastly the ‘All Around’ Series.

Illustrators from abroad like Karoly Reich.

After my recent post about the wonderful Helen Borten who illustrated some of the Let’s Read and Find Out Science series of books, I’m sure there will be many other illustrators like Ed Emberley, Don Madden and Bernice Myers to name but a few, that I’ll want to talk about in the coming months.

What a wealth of styles and textures.

More to come.

1. August 3, 2012 8:33 pm

Your blog is wonderful! I love all those delightful illustrations. Look forward to seeing more of them. (^-^)

2. August 8, 2012 8:16 pm

Mog was a favourite with our children, as was the Tiger Who Came to Tea by the same author. It’s quite a thought to see books you read to your family in among what now seems quite a vintage collection!

• August 8, 2012 8:45 pm

It’s true John and some of these books were written before I was born. Probably best not to dwell on the vintage bit too much lol I’d still read these books to children today and I feel that their illustrations are still as fresh and interesting.

3. August 10, 2012 10:38 am

Oh I love these – The Silver Wood especially reminds me of books I had when I was little !

• August 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Aren’t they beautiful. I am tempted to get a copy of The Silver Wood just to see what the other illustrations are like lol

4. August 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Really interesting post, thanks for sharing.

• August 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Thank you, always interested in Vintage books. Happy to have found you too lol

5. July 1, 2013 6:36 am

There are SOME I have, and MANY I don’t and I want them ALL, LOL.