Fishink in the Garden

June 13, 2015

Fishinkblog 9284 Fishink in the garden 6

Yesterday, was a gloriously sunny day.  I wanted to work outside but not to draw, so I decided that our postage stamp of a garden needed a little TLC. It was also looking quite green (but nothing else), so I went to a local garden centre to buy us a box of instant colour.

Fishinkblog 9282 Fishink in the garden 4

It’s funny but spending some time in the garden and being so close to what you are doing, crouched over the flowerbed, you soon get to notice things in minute detail. For instance I first noticed a Ladybird so I took it’s photo. Then I noticed why the Ladybird was there, the plant was teeming with Black fly (lunchtime for Ladybird). Then I noticed just how many Ladybirds had discovered the same plant. Nice to see some Bees in the garden too.

Fishinkblog 9280 Fishink in the garden 2

I didn’t realise that we have so many different Ladybirds living in Britain: 46 species. Not all of them are brightly coloured and spotty; some are really quite dull looking and are not recognisable as Ladybirds. There are 27 species from the Ladybird family (scientifically called the Coccinellidae) that actually look like ladybirds. The 7 spotted variety can munch it’s way through 5000 Aphids in it’s lifetime !

They’re welcome to come and lunch in my garden anytime, the Ladybirds that it, not the Aphids.

I planted some different Lavenders to help attract Bees and Butterflies.

Fishinkblog 9279 Fishink in the garden 1

I also noticed this tiny fellow, which took me about 10 shots to finally get it in focus ! It looks like it’s been embroidered.

Fishinkblog 9281 Fishink in the garden 3

Aren’t the variety of shapes, textures and colours in nature, simply amazing ?

Fishinkblog 9283 Fishink in the garden 5

Today it’s raining and wet, yesterday was a day well spent I feel. Now I can sit and look at it from indoors !

1. June 13, 2015 8:49 am

Love your posts, Craig! They are so lovely and inspiring. Thanks 🙂

• June 13, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks Sarah, great to hear that. Appreciate your thoughts

2. CY Neve permalink
    June 13, 2015 9:15 am

I really enjoy your blog – I look forward to it, especially the photos. It’s nice to see life pared
    back and appeciated for its simplicity.

3. June 13, 2015 10:53 am

Wow, you have been busy!! It looks great already and should mature beautifully! Plus the bees will love you!! Well done Mr Greenfingers!!

4. Wendy permalink
    June 13, 2015 5:04 pm

I enjoy your blog! 🌀
    Wendy
    #PeachesAndDreamsDesigns

5. June 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Will we be treated to a glimpse of some mature growth in the future, Mr. Greenfingers? I especially love the idea of the lavender, and I’ve always admired the charm of a brick wall, reminds me of one of my favorite books, ‘The Secret Garden’. Thanks for the restful photos!

• June 14, 2015 7:37 am

Mature pics will follow, all being well with the growing and development of course lol give me a reminder in a couple of months : ) Glad you liked the pics.